So, I ordered this fabric a few weeks ago. It was a rayon challis jacquard, and while I knew the design had paisleys in it, from the pic on the website, they looked pretty hidden in the design. In fact, the design looked so subtle, I didn't think you'd notice there WAS a design until you got right up close.
But then this (finally) came in the mail today:
Don't get me wrong, it's GORGEOUS. But the fabric is insanely shiny, and both the paisleys and the giant roses that I somehow had either not noticed or forgotten were there catch the like like crazy and it's basically all you can see.
Soooo not SCA-able. Into the stash of "WTF do I make with this?" it goes. My roommate suggested a cocktail dress, but, when the heck do I ever need anything like that? I don't go anywhere I'd need a cocktail dress. But I have no clue what else I'd do with it. I'll figure it out someday.
13 May 2013
I am *terrible* at keeping up with my Month In Review posts, you guys. They're mostly just for record-keeping purposes, anyway - makes it easier to find things six months from now, you know? So anyway, here's 2013 so far:
- couple of plastic masks for a masked ball that I ended up not attending, lol
- was on a cruise, so not much else happened :)
- made some stamps!
- learned to crochet snoods
- made over an old Burgundian into my new red velvet Italian
- hanging candle plate
- painted a blue wooden box (ended up keeping my sewing/embroidery/art supplies in it)
- embroidered (badly) little red needle case
- altered my red linen dress
- more period underwear
- another purse
- Made a cover for my metal EZ-Up canopy (the frame broke in April, by the way)
- finished my blue belt
- another mask - once again, I ended up not going to the ball, lol
- "period cigarette case" (and I quit smoking in May, lol)
- two embroidered purses finished
- GULF WAR!
So far, for the month of May, I've been working solely on projects for my house, which you can see over on that blog. I haven't been eventing, and I probably won't be eventing throughout the coming summer, or working on much, SCA-wise, as I'm about to be astounding low on funds until this coming fall when my financial situation will right itself again (long story, though not a huge deal in the long run).
I will, however, be working on a new bliaut for myself, for the Fall Baronial event in October; and I'll likely be crocheting more stuff, making more jewelry, and doing other small accessory-type projects with materials I already have on hand. So, while posting may be sporadic, and likely not all that impressive, I'll be *here*. See you all soon. :)
01 May 2013
The banner is finished! Okay, well, more of a flag...and there's actually a proper, period term for this kind of flag, but I can't remember it for the life of me. But HERE IT IS:
- one yard of 45" white silk charmeuse
- Dye-na-flow paints
- black Pebeo gutta (resist) ...all from Dharma Trading Co.
- a tapestry hanger that I think is actually Balinese; I've had it forever
- a scrap length of gold trim that I just pinned in place on the hanger
The finished flag is 20"x25"; you can see in the picture above that I set it up in the corner of the fabric. The extra space around it got painted, too: I'm not ready to show it off yet, but I painted part of the extra silk red, and other parts black, and made both a small pennant to fly from the top of my tent, and a long, thin, silk belt to wear with my leather ones. :) More on those later.