Well, it's nearing the end of June. This is the time of year when I always say, "I should really get x, y, and z finished this Summer at a nice, leisurely pace, so that it's all ready for event season this fall," but then I don't do a damned thing until two weeks before Fall Baronial. Where did you say that path paved with good intentions was headed? Oh, right.
Still, hope is never a bad thing to have. I don't actually have a whole lot on my plate this summer; it's just that all the projects I have are BIG ones. The SCA projects, the home/DIY projects, landscaping projects, even a bunch of mundane sewing that I really should get to. For the purposes of this blog, however, here's a short list of some of the stuff I'm actually excited about getting done this summer:
- a 6-panel wooden chest. Two, actually: one I'd like to build from scratch, and one is a wooden toy box makeover that I'm actually halfway through. Well begun is half done!
- a sun shade from a pretty tablecloth and some salvaged bunk leg legs
- a medieval market stall to replace my EZ-Up pavilion. Remember all that work I did making a canvas cover for it? The second time I set it up after that, one of the metal struts broke, and I can't get a replacement part for it - I would have to buy a new one. So why bother, when I can just build a period one?
- A small leather-seated tripod stool, like this one, because I like it.
- A new, wooden bed for my tent, made out of the old wooden bed that I built for my bedroom at home several years ago
- Some upgrades for my modern-almost-period pointy tent: new guide ropes, mosquito netting for the inside, a curtain/drape to cover up the zippered door, and possibly
- A new cooler cover for a cube cooler
- A beautiful new 12th-century outfit for a couple of very cool, early medieval-themed events coming up in October and December
Not, mind you, that a thing being ON this list means that it's going to get done. These are just things that have been on my mind since last year, mostly geared towards having a more period-feeling presence at events.
I've got a list about this same size for the house - painting walls, repairing flooring joints, hanging light fixtures, etc. - as well as a mundane mending pile as high as my hip, a roommate moving out, a 10-year checkup and repair list on my home...yeesh. Suffice to say, it will either be a very busy summer for me, or a summer in which I say F* it to everything and just play video games for three months.
See you soon...