17 August 2012

Pushing Furniture?

Wait, which blog is this?  Maybe this just one of those crossover TV episodes where a detective from the cop show turns up on the paranormal investigation show to help the FBI agents or something.  Welcome to my DIY and home decor blog!  Hee hee.

Today's post is all about the campsite - I've got camp decor on the brain this week, as I wait for my new tent to show up at my house.  I really can't tell you how excited I am to finally have a tent that's not a giant, bright blue, nylon square, lol.  I have several things for my campsite that I just need to finish or put together:

This is the bed I built for myself at home a few years ago.  It's a queen size, and I don't use it anymore because I have a king sized mattress now.  I'm embarrassed to admit, I never thought to use it for SCA purposes until a friend asked me why I didn't.   I built it with moving in mind, so the entire thing breaks down and packs flat.  The hardware is modern, but it's not visible from the outside.

All it needs is some new, short, corner posts.  I'm going to keep using my air mattress on top of it for the time being, until I can figure out an affordable mattress solution;  but I have all the bedding I need to make it look nice.




This is a cooler cover with a padded seat that I made last year, with some eggcrate foam I had laying around after another project, and about $4 worth of clearance drapery fabric.  I got the idea from a good friend of mine.  I would really like to make more of these - for my other cooler, and also some that are purely decorative, to throw over my plastic storage tubs that I use to pack my things in when I travel.  (I've been just throwing sarongs, skirts, and lengths of cloth over them).




Pinterest
Vasilii and I have a red box like this made for us by a friend.  Eventually I'd like to paint our arms on the outside (and how fortunate that both of our arms use red, black, and white as our colors).  For now, though, I'd like to install some horizontal wooden cleats on the inside walls like in this picture, so that we can put a box or storage tray in there, too, and expand the box's function.



This little guy I picked up for $5 at Goodwill and reupholstered last year.  Um...just ignore the 18th century Queen Anne legs.  One day I'll replace those, and upholster it in something snazzier (this is just a scrap of red upholstery velvet; I'd really like to tuft it and put something shiny on it).

I'm not sure I'll keep camping with this, though. At least, not in the rain.  I brought it to Gulf War in March, and I was constantly cleaning mud off of it.




a tutorial! 

This is next, though, before I do ANYTHING else. I am TIRED of ugly-ass camp chairs.

Since I do build and fix up furniture, I do plan to build some nice wooden SCA furniture for us to use, but at the moment I have neither the money nor the shop space to do so.  For the time being, some camp chair covers made from Goodwill sheets and duvet covers will cost me about ten dollars and maybe a couple of hours of sewing.






Next camp post:  accessories! 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D