26 August 2015

A Very Wrinkly Bliaut

Another commission finished, yay! 

Another bliaut, for the same client as the blue and magenta one, and the viking coat.

click to embiggen

  • Gold linen with black linen trim, lining, and applied neckline and upper sleeve contrast bands.  
  • Same pattern as the blue and magenta one, with a different neckline. 
  • Caerleon livery, yay! 
  • Side-laced, with hand-sewn eyelets.
  • Lions (7) hand-embroidered (*fingers fall off*) 

Yes, I could have ironed this before I photographed it.  But...I didn't.  :P 

Closeup of the embroidered lions.  I'd originally planned to appliqué these,  but they're only about an inch and a half high - way too small to appliqué on the machine without it becoming a huge mess.  I decided to stitch them down by hand instead; but seeing that the white embroidery thread I was using to edge them was a completely different white than the linen I cut the lions out of, I decided to just embroider the entire thing(s) instead.

I finished the lions on the neckline facing before attaching it to the body of the dress, then ran the lining in last, so that all of the seams were enclosed within the lining and the back of the embroidery would be fully hidden/protected. 

I'm rather pleased with the way these little guys came out. 

The gold stripe along the edges of all the black pieces is a couched cord of embroidery floss.


I have one commission piece to do in September, but first I have to make it to/through LPT without spontaneously combusting from stress.  :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D