It's just a little tri-fold doodad, made from fabric scraps, padded and lined with the inside of a fake fur blanket. I was very new to embroidery then, and so only the random leaves and wee pomegranates were hand-embroidered - all the swirly bits were done on my machine.
Don't get me wrong, I've always loved it's functionality; but recently I pulled it out to work on some hand-sewing, and I thought, "Wow, this is crap, I can do WAY better than this!" So I grabbed some more fabric scraps and sat down in front of Game of Thrones season 2...all of it. (I had a migraine, but couldn't sleep). This is what I made to replace the red one:
This one is also a trifold wallet-like design; and these are two of the panels. The third panel is left blank, since it's going to be tucked inside anyway.
The white backing is cross-stitch fabric. The inner lining is the fuzzy blanket lining from the old needle case, for padding. The blue lining, which is wrapped around the outside as a decorative edge, is turquoise linen/rayon blend.
The full pomegranate is the back of the case. This is the front, when it's closed.
Yes, it's all rumply. I intend to iron the whole thing out, and then put a button or tie or something on it to keep it closed, like the red velvet needle case had.
The inside, which contains a smattering of sewing and embroidery needles in various sizes, several sizes of glass-head pins, a small curved darning needle, and a large upholstery/leather needle.
I keep it in here, a box I made in 2011, along with more pins, some bobbins of thread in common colors for on-the-go repairs, a small pair of steel snips, and random things people always need, like safety pins, extra bobby pins, random buttons, and a couple of extra dress lacings: