26 August 2013

The Big Black Box

I needed a six-panel chest.  You know the one, it's ubiquitous in the SCA.  It comes in all shapes, sizes, colors, finishes, and types of detail.  It's SO handy.

Enter this guy:  



This is a wooden toybox that my grandfather built for me when I was only a year old.  It's as old as me, and like me, it was showing a bit of wear.  It's been useful and beloved throughout it's thirty*COUGH* years, but lacking a hinged top made its use a bit limited.  Eventually it was relegated to storage, tucked on top of a shelf in my garage.

I was hesitant, at first, to refinish it at all (even though I hated the paint job - it's green/yellow on the other two sides), because it was my grandfather's work, I finally decided that I'd rather change it and use it and love it anew, than let it rot on top of a high shelf - and why not look at it like this: he put loving work into this thing, so why shouldn't I? This is as close as we would get to having worked on it together.

The paint was old enough to have been lead, possibly, so I did no sanding.  I spent weeks scraping and peeling and covering it with liquid and foam paint remover, before finally giving up once I realized that even where I'd gotten through the paint, it had long since soaked into the wood, and it would never be stain-able.  So I scraped it smooth, applied a wood conditioner to re-hydrate it, sealed some slightly separated joinery, and painted it inside and out.

From there, the rest was all fun.  I've been working on this guy all summer (you saw the background on the lid, and the smaller box which was kind of a dry run for this one).  Here's the finished product:

Black outside, and mint-green-blue inside (because that's
the color I had, hehe.  The top is stained because it was
cut from an old desktop, and was already finished.  

A close-up of the decorative mountings, which are
just jewelry plaques bent and nailed on with small tacks. 


The handles on the sides, which are simple drawer pulls,
backed with more jewelry plaques.   Not remotely period,
but, as with all facets of this project, I used materials
I already had on hand. 

On the outside of the lid is a mural that took me like three weeks to paint.
I absolutely love it, warts and all, from the derpy little deer to the appalling
mélange of artistic styles used  (this is a learning project, you guys).

See?   I do love how all the colors came out, though, and overall I'm quite
pleased with the finished chest. 



I do have to say that the sky is my favorite thing, though.  It doesn't show
well in these pics, but all of the gold is metallic.  Not leafing paint (my jar
of leafing paint is stuck shut!), but my trusty gold liquid paint pen. 


So, this is going to be my nightstand in my tent, and very likely full of underwear and socks, hehe.  Very few people will ever even see it, but that's okay with me.  I'm really pleased with it, and I want to keep it where I can see it all the time, and where it won't be damaged by the elements.

Next up, woodworking-wise, is another, smaller chest, that I'll be building from scratch; but with the first event of the season only weeks away, I need to lock myself in my sewing room for a while.
See you guys on the flipside.



.

5 comments:

  1. I think your granddad would be very pleased that you still love the box and did such a wonderful job on it. :) Very nice. Wood conditioner?? Tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :)

    Ack - you caught an editing mistake I forgot to go back and fix. They DO make wood conditioners, usually marketed to help wood take a stain more evenly, but I was out of the stuff I used to have;. I ended up rubbing in a very light coat of mineral oil, let it sit for a couple of days, and then washed off the surface with soap and warm water and dried it thoroughly, to make sure there wasn't any extra oil built up on the surface that would prevent the paint from sticking (and primer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because...you know...that 100+ year old wash stand that I stripped & it seems a bit dry. My mom and dad bought that from the neighbors for $5 in 1956 when we moved to Cedar Rapids. It had long since been painted white from the original oak or whatever. Then Mum painted it yellow, took the Victorian crystal knobs off (SOB!!) and replaced them with green-painted wood ones. In 1971, I painted it white again, and painted the knobs in different primary colors and it became Laura's baby dresser (yeah, lead paint and all. Who knew in 1971?).

      In 1976, I started stripping it in my apartment living room in Cleveland, and then my dad died and we all moved back to NOLA. I've basically been hauling it around the country, with two drawers and the door stripped, and the door off the hinges, and no knobs since then. Remember a few years ago, I stripped it the rest of the way? It's been sitting bare like that since then.... Thinking maybe a pale aqua chalk type finish, since the wood isn't really matched enough to stain again.

      Watcha think?

      Delete
    2. Because...you know...that 100+ year old wash stand that I stripped & it seems a bit dry. My mom and dad bought that from the neighbors for $5 in 1956 when we moved to Cedar Rapids. It had long since been painted white from the original oak or whatever. Then Mum painted it yellow, took the Victorian crystal knobs off (SOB!!) and replaced them with green-painted wood ones. In 1971, I painted it white again, and painted the knobs in different primary colors and it became Laura's baby dresser (yeah, lead paint and all. Who knew in 1971?).

      In 1976, I started stripping it in my apartment living room in Cleveland, and then my dad died and we all moved back to NOLA. I've basically been hauling it around the country, with two drawers and the door stripped, and the door off the hinges, and no knobs since then. Remember a few years ago, I stripped it the rest of the way? It's been sitting bare like that since then.... Thinking maybe a pale aqua chalk type finish, since the wood isn't really matched enough to stain again.

      Watcha think?

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a story! Yeah, that should help. And the chalk-qua finish sounds purdy.

    ReplyDelete

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D