04 February 2019

Lady Madylyne Goes To Candlemas

2 years, 2 months, and 3 days.  That's a pretty long hiatus.

I've really missed the SCA these two years.  I had burned myself out pretty badly, and had no interest in even dipping a toe back into the whirlwind of stress that I remembered.  All that "project management" I posted about?  I missed the most important part: don't overload yourself and drive yourself insane! 

This past weekend, I dipped that toe back in, though - I went to Candlemas (fittingly, it was also my very first event, back in 2011).  I had a BLAST, reconnected with a bunch of old friends, made some new ones, and just generally immersed myself in that wonder that is an SCA event.  I got so many hugs I think I may never need another one.  I went into it thinking, "I'll just do this one event, and if it goes well, I might go back to the SCA...but we'll see."

Well, ladies and gents, I'm back.

I didn't make anything new to wear to this event.  The theme was late Elizbethan, and there was no way I could have pulled that off in a short amount of time - so I wore my favorite Viking, since that's what I had from before that still fit and was still in decent condition after sitting in a box for more than two years.


"Please, Mr. Photographer, will you take
a picture of my outfit for my mother so
she doesn't kill me? Thanks." 
(Caveat:  no, the green hanging apron in the front isn't technically correct for 10-11th century Viking.  If I remember correctly, the idea of it was based in one guy's misunderstanding of a grave find from, I think, the 70s, which was later proven to be not at all what he thought it was.  But it looks cool, and I felt the outfit needed it, just this once).


Now, Edna, that's not nice. 


It took a hot minute to find something that fit me properly; and then I had to re-do the jewelry that went with the outfit and put together a new set of feast gear.


Jingle boobs. 


So, what's next?  In general, I'll be taking things slowly and participating on a smaller scale than I did before, at least at first. There are many reasons for that;  the first being that I don't want to overwork myself like I was doing before...but it also doesn't help that BOTH of my sewing machines just died. That's going to put a bit of a damper on things, I think.  (C'mon, tax refund!)

I think the next event I'll attend is likely the Academy of Defense in Bjornsborg.  It's a rapier tournament, and it's at my very favorite event site of all time - grassy and cool, filled with mature pecan trees and surrounded on three sides by a quiet little river.  Lovely.

See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Jingle boobs hahaha Love the outfit ill have to take a closer look at the embroidery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the embroidered borders are just a herringbone stitch surrounded by a 2-color stem stitch...I think? I was pretty new at embroidery when I made this a couple of years ago. If you click on the "Viking" tag on this post, you can see better, up-close pics of it. Thanks!

      Delete

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D