So I tore it apart, added gussets to the side seams and the back of the arms to give myself more bicep- and boob-room, painstakingly picked out all the black decorative stitching (what I was I thinking!), and put the thing back together.
And finally, I removed the buttons and replaced them with cloth ball buttons made of the same fabric, and then I DYED IT PURPLE!!!
Purple!! Truthfully, I was going for a soft, heather-y, faded, muted plum...and that's the color I got the first time I dyed this dress. The problem is, I dyed it in a beer cooler, like I usually do when I dye things, which turned out not to be enough room to keep this big, heavy dress agitated as much as it needed - it settled and wrinkled and came out all patchy. Seriously, it looked like purple camouflage! I may or may not have actually screamed. On a second dyeing - in the washing machine this time - the dye job came out beautifully smooth and rich...and waaaaay more purple than I'd originally intended. Which is NOT to say that I don't love it, because I do.
|I mean, seriously. That's just an awesome color.|
Cloth buttons, and here you can see the tapestry stuff on the
inside of the sleeve that dyed beautifully as well (look back at the
first picture). Yay!
I'll be wearing this to a demo with my household this coming weekend; hopefully I'll have pictures for you of this dress all tarted up and accessorized. You know how I am about pictures, though. No promises. ;)