02 August 2022

Regency: Pink D’Orsay Flats

 So, I needed shoes to go with all this Regency stuff - and no, since you asked, I don’t have anywhere to wear any of this, I just wanted it.  But I needed shoes. I didn’t want to wear plain flats, and I can’t  afford to just go out and buy something appropriate. 

What I did have, though, is a pair of dusty-pink microfiber D’Orsay flats that I bought at WalMart several years ago that I wasn’t wearing anymore.  They were seriously dirty and scuffed: the first thing I did was to clean them up with rubbing alcohol and brush the nap smooth, then glue the tips of the toes back to the sole of the shoe where they had started to come apart. 

My inspiration for the next steps was this excerpt from the self-portrait of Adele Romany, painted in 1799. 







After cleaning, I used hot glue to place four small ribbon loops onto each shoe: one at the front toe, one at the back heel, and two on the sides. I threaded my ribbon through the loops and tied it around my feet.  One of the reasons I never wore these shoes was that they would fall off when I walked - now they stayed on AND they would work with my Regency wardrobe.  The modern microfiber bugs me a little, but I’m not too worried about it; I can always imagine they’re velvet. 





My dog Daisy and my cat Darcy were both interested in the shoes as I was walking around taking pictures: 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D