03 August 2022

SCA Viking: Herringbone Linen

 Several months ago, I purchased the most beautiful fabric from a friend who was cleaning out her stash: it’s 100% linen, light gray, in a herringbone weave. I’d always wanted a herringbone or twill weave in my viking wardrobe. 



I dyed the linen a deep intense blue, with Rit’s “Indigo” dye. It actually didn’t turn out all that well the first time, but I made the dress anyway and then dyed it again and this time it came out beautifully. 



I applied a handwoven tablet weave trim (from Etsy) to the top front of the dress, and used very thin loops for the straps. Here is the finished product on the mannequin: 






As a bonus, I used the remaining herringbone yardage to make the shawl: I picked out the weft threads on two ends of the piece to make a fringe, and knotted it.  Just a little lightweight something to wrap up in on breezy evenings. 

Now I have three whole dresses I can wear to events this fall. (All the dresses I made last year sadly are already too small; but I’m working on that).  The “agave” dress I made in January (I’ve changed the trim on the top), and a dark teal one (“apatite” from Fabric-store.com), and now this. Time to start working on accessories and camp things.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D