15 October 2019

Viking Bead Jewelry

This is my Viking jewelry as it was in February at Candlemas:


There's so much wrong with this picture;  but we won't go into that right now.  See the red beaded string with the modern silver raven pendant on it?  I ADORE that pendant, and I don't care how modern it is, it will always be a part of my Viking wardrobe.  I love ravens, and I have little blue Viking ravens embroidered on three pieces of clothing, and a big knotwork raven tattoo'd on my back.  My ravens stay with me.

Those red beads, on the other hand, are too smooth and uniform to pass with Viking jewelry.   The other night I made a small string of random beads - wood, glass, carnelian, and quartz; just whatever I had on hand - and hung my raven pendant from it.  It goes with my boob necklace better, and goes with the color schemes I usually wear when I wear Viking:



Incidentally, you should check out this blog.  It's a research blog, to complement the research the author is doing into Viking beads and ancient settlements.  It's fantastic,  scholarly and clearly-written, and the pictures are really large and clear. I learned so much about Viking beads reading through the whole thing.  My one regret, after reading it, is that I don't have any cobalt blue beads or any fancy glass ones.  That can be fixed!

Anyway, this was just a little last-minute project I did because I'm impatient for this weekend.  See you on the flip side!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D