14 October 2019

Parasol Refit


This is my parasol.  It started life as that same ubiquitous white parasol that's sold at wars and which everyone has - you might have one yourself.

Well, mine suffered a terrible fate:  as so many people do, I tried to paint mine, but I messed it up very badly.

So I took it apart and made a pattern from it, and used that to make what you see above.  I made the wide ends of each piece wider and longer, long enough to hang down like little awnings.  I regret not having a source for the design;  I saw it somewhere on someone's Italian renaissance costuming page but never could find it again.  Those little awnings sure are great for keeping the sun out of your face, though.

However, by now this cover was six years old.  The heavy cotton fabric (originally a RITVA curtain panel from Ikea) was badly stained by spills and some wet leather that got dropped on top of it.  Seams were coming apart.  Edges were frayed.  The hem had come undone on most of the awning edges.  The ribbon that tied it closed was positively shredded.  This thing's been through a lot.

The first thing I needed was new fabric.  It had to be lightweight, washable, light colored, strong enough to withstand the pressure it would be under when opened, and maybe something I could paint eventually. I ended up using a white cotton bedsheet that I had sitting around.



I removed one of the triangular panels from the old cover and used it as a template to cut out eight new ones.  Then I sewed them all together at the sides, leaving the last side seam open, hemmed the top opening and the bottom edge, then closed up the last side seam. The cover attaches to the frame by pushing the small center opening over the crown of the umbrella, then stretching the seams down to the buttons on the ends of the spokes and tacking them in place around the spoke buttons with sturdy button thread.  Done!



Tada!  All done.  I really like the cotton sheet fabric - it's SO lightweight!  This thing feels practically weightless compared to the heavy cotton curtain fabric that was on it before.

After I attached the cover to the frame, the whole thing got a heavy coat of Camp Dry spray to waterproof it.  I use that stuff on everything, it does a great job.  Great timing, too - it's supposed to rain at the event!











So What's Next? 

Valkyrfelt is this weekend! I'm so excited!  The weather should be cool and somewhat rainy - just right for camping on a beautiful little forested island in the middle of nowhere.  I can't wait.  

Rory helps mama with the sewing.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D