30 November 2023

SCA: We Interrupt This Blog For: A New Loom!

 I got a new loom! 



This is a Windhaven “Harpsichord” model loom. It’s 24” wide and 31” tall.  The wood is red oak, and the loom was designed by Windhaven over 7 years ago, so this loom is possibly that old. The top comes off and you can use it as a lap or tabletop loom by itself; or you can connect the entire thing and use it as a floor loom. When put together, it’s capable of making up to five yards of continuous trim. 

One of my  favorite things about this loom is that I got it for free. My local SCA barony has a Facebook gifting group -  sort of like Buy Nothing but for the whole barony - and someone there was just giving this thing away, can you believe that? I had to drive over an hour to pick it up, but it’s definitely worth it. 

It’s seen some use for sure - the wood near the tension peg is worn a little bit, and one of the pegs is a bit loose. (Currently debating whether to remove it and repair it now, or leave it until it becomes a problem).  


For fun and for comparison, here is my “old” loom: 



I built this myself based on a design in a YouTube video a few years ago. It’s pine; 15x37”; and it has two loose pegs and a number of adjustments and repairs that I’ve made over the years. It makes 3 yards of card or inkle trim when fully warped. 

I can’t wait to start using the new Harpsichord, though. I’m going to have to go watch some videos on how to warp it, because I’ve never used one with a tension peg in this position before. 

I have a Viking coat that needs trim all the way around (front edge, lower hem, and sleeves), and the coat takes just under 9y of trim all told. I would have had to have made three weaves to cover the distance with my “old” loom; now I’ll only have to make two. I don’t know what colors I’ll use yet, or what design, but I definitely want to try something more complicated than I’ve done before, to grow my skill set. 

First, though, I have to finish my current A&S project, which I’m going to be completing on my old loom - I’m making 13 bits of trim, and since I started on the old loom I’ll finish the project there so they’ll all be uniform. Only 5 more to go! Whew. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D