01 September 2022

SCA: Three Jorvik Hoods

 In May, I cut off over two feet of hair and started growing out my gray. I’d dyed it for years, and it was looking pretty dry and worn. It’s healthy now, and a great shade of silver - but it’s too short for all the cool braids and updos I used to do to go with my costumes. 

So this week I made a trio of Jorvik* hoods to cover my short hair at events where I’m dressed as a Viking. I used scraps of old linen from past Viking projects, so the hoods will coordinate with whatever I’m wearing (my entire Viking wardrobe is in shades of blue so that I can mix and match and it will all coordinate).  

*The Jorvik hood is rounded at the top back and comes down past the chin; the Dublin hood is pointed and shorter. I had that backwards at first, until I looked it up this week.  



All are machine sewn with a French seam up the back/top. The hoods we’ve found in gravesites use the selvage edge as the front opening of the hood, but I didn’t have scrap pieces big enough to do that, so they’re hemmed by hand. The ties are fabric, instead of woven or braided cord. These took me about an hour each.  

Viking hair:  handled.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D