17 April 2023

Regency: A Picnic!

 Over the weekend I went to my very first JASNA event: their annual Box Hill Picnic, in Buda, Texas. I have to admit, I was very apprehensive about going - I'm not exactly a "social butterfly", and new people, and groups of people I don't know, and doing new things, intimidate me something fierce.  

The picnic was lovely, though. It was a smallish group; I met a handful of really awesome ladies and gentlemen who were happy to entertain a newcomer.  We all played a quiz game designed to get us talking to each other (mostly Emma trivia, and I was thankful I'd just read it again recently), ate a nice lunch with wonderful desserts, and took a walk around the park together to admire the local wildflowers.  

I think I'll definitely go back to more JASNA events - now I know there ARE lots of events, even though it's been hard to find info online. There's a Meetup group and a book club, there are English Country Dance classes every now and then, dinners and lectures and all sorts of nifty things to do.  

Here's me and my friend, Star, out at the picnic with our little paper name tags, hehe: 


I wore my white dotted/striped gown, with my blue linen open robe and green linen hat, along with my coral-and-mother-of-pearl jewelry and a Lover's Eye on a gold chain that I made.  Thankfully, I wasn't the only one "in costume" - several other ladies showed up in Regency finery, including one woman dressed all in black mourning, which was pretty cool.  

Hooray, I got out and tried a new thing, and it was wonderful!  I can't wait to go again.  Before the next "costumes welcome" event, I have a new Spencer to make...more on that later.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D