24 September 2020

Quarantine Hobbies

 In the middle of all that Viking-ness that I was doing earlier this year, I also made a loom.  I honestly thought I posted about it on the blog, but I guess I didn't.  Whoops!   





It's a simple design, made from a single piece of 1x4, a 3'x1" dowel, and a handful of 2" screws.  I learned how to make it by watching youtube videos, and had it done in an afternoon.  The stain is Dark Walnut, by Minwax.  If I had it to do over again, I'd re-think my dowel placement:  one of the dowels in the warp is too close to the path that the yarn takes on the non-heddled strings, and it's causing some friction that I think is making my yarn fuzzy in places.  





I'll admit, I'm not very good at weaving yet.  Another youtube video taught me how to warp up the loom and weave on it, but I'm having lots of tension problems I don't know what to do with.  I'll get there.  So far I've woven a couple of scrap pieces just to get a feel for the loom, and a perfectly serviceable teal belt made of thin yarn.  I'm working on a black one at the moment.  

Part of the problem with weaving is that I don't have a real shuttle.  I made one out of an old wooden ruler, because that's what I had.  Someday soon (I hope) I'll order a nice shuttle for myself, and then maybe things will go more smoothly.  


LOL.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D