19 May 2020

A Blue Viking Apron Dress

My first Viking dress was dark blue, and I loved it so much - but it got old and worn and too small, and I ended up chopping it up to make dinner napkins (which I still use).  I've wanted another dark blue apron dress ever since - and now I have one!




This is just a plain, 3-panel apron dress, in a middle weight linen.  The color is "Prestige", by Fabric-Store.com - it's sort of a dark steel blue, not intense enough to be "navy", but not warm enough to be called "midnight."  I really love the color.   It's soft and restful, like a quiet evening.   




I found a gorgeous tablet-woven wool band on Etsy (here) while I was looking for trim for another project, and I HAD to have it for this dress.  I've used it around the top of the dress and also for the straps.  I didn't treat this trim in any way, because I haven't had a reaction to it at all (yay!) I guess the weaver did something to it before she used it, or maybe they just treat wool differently in Lithuania, who knows?

Here's the back:


The stitching could be a little better right here;  and the thread is just a hair too light for the fabric and the trim, but that's okay.  It's all I could find.  Anyway, I LOVE the trim on this dress!  I wish I could use trim like this on all my projects.  Maybe I should learn to weave.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray, comments! Be nice to each other, and to me. Or I shall boot your ass and then mail you a dead fish. :D